Thursday, January 8, 2015

Simple Coasters -- A Tutorial

I made a set of coasters for a host gift in December, I realized that my home needed a set, so I made some for me.  Here's how I did it:

Cut 2 outside fabric (I used home dec weight) and one batting -- 5.5 inches square.


Lay out the squares as follows:
     Batting
     Outside fabric, right side up
     Outside fabric, right side down

Stitch around the outside, with a .25 inch seam allowance, leaving an opening on one side to turn the coaster right side out.  Stitching on 3 layers is much easier with a walking foot which I used throughout this project.


Trim the corners:


Turn the coaster right side out:


Push out the corners with something pointy -- a chop stick, etc.

 

Press carefully to flatten the coaster, then stitch around the outside to keep it flat and to close up the turning hole.

Quilt as desired:

                                                

I quilted in a squared spiral.


Each of the coasters is a little different in the quilting, but I like that.




No comments:

Post a Comment