Thursday, April 2, 2015

"One Hundred Blocks" Sampler -- One A Day

The Tula Pink book, One Hundred Blocks has been on my book shelf for a couple of years.  I knew that I would one day start in on the blocks.  After reading lots of blogs, (I'm sorry, but I don't remember which one) I was inspired to do this big project "one a day."

I have now done the first 15 "cross" blocks, and here are a few:


I decided to use solids, as that would help me with another challenge, using these piles of solids that I have been collecting.


The colors in the book are inspiration for the color scheme of the blocks.


This is really an exercise in precision.  Each block is 6.5".  Well, each block is supposed to be 6.5 inches!


I find that some are more precise than others.  Some of these little blocks have 20 + pieces!


Each block will have sashing, so I will hopefully have the precise look that I'm going for.
My process is to cut carefully and stitch one block per day.  I'm doing them in order.  I decided that I can look ahead to the next day's block to choose fabrics, but that is all.  Like other quilting, (and potato chips,) once you get started, it's difficult to stop with just one.  I had a guest last week, and my guest room doubles as my sewing space, so I did work ahead to account for the missed days.

I got to hear Tula Pink speak at the Sewing Expo last year.  Go hear her if you ever get a chance.  She's funny and inspiring.  Her fabrics and quilts are beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment