Friday, September 15, 2017

Plus X Blocks

I'm having a lot of fun making these blocks.  Each one is like choosing a combination for a quilt color scheme.

They measure 7", so it will take a bunch to make a decent sized quilt.  I'm thinking I need 100, but that would be only 65" square, so maybe I'll go for 120.


It will be fun to see the riot of color when I get enough to make a decent sized quilt.


Most of these are assembled from scraps, pre-cut squares (cut by me from scraps) and a little cut from stash.  When one gets going, it's amazing how many fabrics and how many quilts are represented here.

Please pardon the un-pressed blocks!  My iron gave out, and the new one is coming. . .


Here are a few steps of the process:


I'm cutting the pieces as I go . . . 
The + is made of three pieces:  5" x 2" and 2 - 2" squares

Completing the + shape are 4 - 2" squares. I'm keeping them all the same fabric.
The X part of the block is 4 3.5" squares. I'm using similar colors, but different fabrics in the 4 squares.  In the one above, there are 4  different reds in the X.  The background of the X part of the block is also cut 2" squares - 8 of them. I'm keeping these all the same as well.

To assemble, you can read the tutorial on Badskirt:

86 blocks are finished; 14 (or more) to go!


No comments:

Post a Comment