Friday, April 22, 2016

Finished Evergreen State

This makes me so happy! My block of the month top is finished, and I love it.

The stocks of wheat as borders add so much, and were fun to do. The tops of the wheat are braids.

I changed this one corner block from spools with a banner to the two Martha Washington blocks, half sized.

I learned and practiced lots of techniques: paper piecing ( the tulip fields, the airplanes, and the mariner's compass), more braids (with the trees, hearts, and apples), a little appliqué (the salmon ladder), and lots of precise piecing (check out the ferry windows!). Thanks to Nancy at Pacific Fabrics, the teacher for this block of the month. The quilt was designed by Anna-Beth Meyer-Graham, the Evergreen State panel designed by Chandler O'Leary.

This measures 77" X 68" before quilting. I'll take a deep breath before I start that.

A couple more photos. . . .

This one is before the borders:

I'm not a quilter who sews many patterns or use panels, I usually like to be more of a pull-all-the-scraps-together person (with LOTS of inspiration from the on line quilt community), but this one spoke to me, having called Washington home for most of my life. I was born here, grew up here, raised my children here, and had two breaks: in Australia for a year and two years in Philadelphia. Both were enriching experiences that I would not trade for anything. And the evergreen state is really home..

Linking up with crazymomquilts.blogspot.com

 

5 comments:

  1. I grew up in western washington and spent time in eastern washington - I currently live in North Carolina and your quilt made me a bit homesick. Where did you find this project?? I may want to make one of my own to decorate my North Carolina home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the ferry blocks but the tulip fields are my favorite. Pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although I'm an Oregonian this quilt speaks to me--love, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. THIS!!!!!! WOW!!!!!!!!!!! Oh, YaYa! I just adore you work! Moreover, I adore YOU! Biiiiiiiiiiiig hugs!

    ReplyDelete