Saturday, March 12, 2016

Celebrate!

A marriage celebration is happening next weekend, and I am ready. Hooray!

My two wonderful sisters in law are formally getting married after 35+ years together. I'm pleased that they can enjoy all the legal benefits of marriage.

The colors come from the kale fabric from Kaffe Fassett: greens, turquoise, reds, gold. My favorite part of quilting is putting all the fabrics together. I have never made a quilt from just one "line," I would rather mix things up for a scrappy look.
The binding is mostly turquoise with a few red pearl bracelets at one corner.
The backing is mostly a sheet from The Company Store that I purchased a while ago on sale. The large piece makes the backing easy to assemble. And the gulls are so cute! I did a little piecing on it, as I had some alphabet blocks to make the initials of the happy couple. My son told me that the green + has a particular meaning, but that's legal here, so, oh well!

Spiral quilting seems to be my "go to" design. I really should venture away from this predictability, but when the quilt is a gift, I want a guaranteed result.

Statistics: Square in a Square, Economy Blocks

Finished size 80" x 62"

Pieced and quilted by me.

Thanks for your visit! Linking up with crazymomquilts for Finish it up Friday.

 

 

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations to them for finally being able to marry legally! I love the quilt. Love the round quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it, beautiful finish! Congratulations to your sisters in law!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats to your sisters-in-law, they will love the quilt. Enjoy the wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful quilt and what a joyous occasion! I got to attend the wedding of my UU minister and his partner of 32 years 3 years ago. The joy was palpable for all of us.

    I have a ? about spiral quilting. Do you have any tips? I'm working on a very special quilt which will be a gift, and want to try spiral quilting for the first time. I think my quilt will end up being about the same size as this one. I have never done this type of quilting and am concerned about doing this on a domestic machine. I have a Janome 6600 which has a slightly larger throat than normal. CAn I do it?

    ReplyDelete