Thursday, February 26, 2015

Under the Sea: Economy Blocks


I had lots of help quilting this one!  Louie loves to sit in the middle of the quilt as I am pushing it around under my walking foot.  He seems to want to be right in the middle of whatever I'm doing!


Last April when I started it, I had a nice pile of Economy blocks, the 8.6 inch variety.  I used the colors from the Mermaid print to figure out a color scheme.  I put a dark turquoise binding on it.  I like how a dark binding keeps a quilt contained and grounds it.


We had a patch of sun this afternoon, so I hung the quilt over my deck, and laid it out on the deck.  You can't see the assorted leaves. . . under the quilt!


Here's the back that I put together with bits and pieces: some from the quilt, some from other backs.  I quilted this with the giant spiral and filled it with wool batting.  I love the wool, but this time the spiral quilting gave me fits.  I kept getting gathers in the quilting in the back.  I had to un-sew a large part of one corner to smooth it out.  There are a few little catches still in the back, but I'm not looking too closely!  They won't show much when the quilt is washed.


Spirals:

This quilt is for Miss C and coordinates with the star quilt for her sister.   

Quilt stats:
Twin bed size: 65" X 90"
Economy Blocks from Crazy Mom Quilts finishing at 8.6"
Quilted in a giant spiral by my on my DSM
Assorted fabrics, including Extraordinary World from In the Beginning fabrics



1 comment:

  1. You did a wonderful job ! Having just done a baby-size spiral, I can only imagine wrestling with one this big. It looks just great !

    ReplyDelete